Winter months can be dehydrating to your locks – leaving them dull and frizzy. Don’t allow your mane to be controlled by the blistering effects of the season. Instead take matters into your own hands by drinking more water and using products that protect and seal moisture in your hair to prevent the “Winter Itch” (dry and flaky skin and hair), caused by the cold and dry environments. You should be mindful that heating your office or home could also be drying to your hair. It doesn’t matter if your hair is natural, chemically altered, or thermally texturized; it needs to be protected from the element.
Don’t spend this season guessing how to manage a flammable mane, or hiding your hair under a hat to camouflage a bad hair day.
I am sharing a list of must have essentials that will keep your hair in winter bliss.
Adding these recommended products to your hair care regimen would help your hair weather the storm.
1. Use a Moisturizing Shampoo & Conditioner to replenish humectants in the hair. I suggest sulfate-free shampoo if you have naturally dry hair, chemically treated hair, or weather beaten hair. If you have fine hair, don’t worry; a moisturizing shampoo/conditioner will not weigh your hair down during winter months. Kevin Murphy- Hydrate Me or Pureology- Hydrate is excellent for revitalizing your hair.
2. A Leave-In Conditioner is key to protecting and preparing the hair for wet or heat styling. I recommend using Purelogy- Colour Fanatic, Mizani- D’Tangle, or LRC- Shake and Go
3. Heat Protectors (Serum), Shine Sprays, or Light Oils keep the hair smooth and sleek, I recommend using Kevin Murphy- Born Again (protector/serum), Mizani- Thermasmooth (serum/protector), Mizani- Coconut Souffle’ (cream hairdress good for natural hair and children), Kevin Murphy- Shimmer Shine (spray), or LRC- Bling (spray)
4. Completing your style with a hairspray could help control your tresses. I recommend using Kevin Murphy- Session Spray or LRC- Seal It to perfect your style.
5. If you need to resurrect your style between shampoos use Kevin Murphy- Fresh Hair Dry Cleaning Spray
6. Visit the salon periodically (every 6 weeks) for a hydrating mask and steam treatment. The steamer and mask aids in moisture retention.
If you’re on the go and need a quick pick me up, always keep a serum/shine spray, hairspray, and dry shampoo in your bag.